Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Some things to think about

(unfortunately, I didn't come up with these, but they are pretty funny)

  • I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.
  • I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.
  • There is great need for a sarcasm font.
  • You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day. (workees, I miss you!)
  • How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?
  • winner winner chicken dinner: Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey -- but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time.





Today I started student teaching! It was a bit overwhelming (teacher work sample is a beast). But, as we were taking the tour of the school, we passed the class I would be in. The vice principal said we were the student teachers and the kids asked, "Which one is Mrs. Smith?!" I waved to them, and I started to tear up when I saw their faces light up. It was really that emotional for me. And at the same time, it completely calmed me of my overwhelming feelings. At that moment, I knew I was exactly where I should be. I am so excited for the next seven weeks I get to spend with these children.
I am at a very low socio-economic school (currently #1 in the district), and they get a lot of grants because of it. In the 3rd-6th grade, the money from the government is used for computers in the classroom--among other amazing technology! There is one computer for every two students in class at their desks. While I sat in the back and observed the class, I noticed many students turning their heads to look at me. I would smile at them and they'd whip their head back around (as if I didn't notice). Well, one sneaky girl was looking at me through her computer screen! It made me laugh.
Another highlight of the day was the class auction. A boy bought the 4th Harry Potter book, walked to the back of the classroom, and gave it to me. He knew I liked HP because I told the class when I introduced myself. Yes, it's a written on, torn, maybe missing pages copy, but how sweet is that?
Student teaching, here I come. I can't believe I am actually doing it now. I've imagined this for so long. I have always known I wanted to be a teacher, and here it is. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Im excited for you! i cant wait to hear all the funny stories you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my workee friend I miss you too. Someone made me cry today at work. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I really miss seeing you. I'm so happy that school has been going well. You are so great and I hope that you have so much fun. We need to plan a time to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on starting student teaching! I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...