Tuesday, June 29, 2010

So Sweet

Andrew and I were called to be the Young Single Adult Advisers in our ward. This calling included teaching the Sunday School class for the 17-19 year olds in the ward. Two days after we were sustained in church, we found out we had to move from the ward. We did, however, have the opportunity to teach the Sunday School class for two weeks before we moved out of the ward.

We taught lesson 23 and lesson 24 from the Old Testament Sunday School Manual about Saul and David, then David and Bathsheba. (1 Samuel 18-20, and 2 Samuel 11-12 respectively). My favorite moment of the lesson was when we were clarifying why David wanted a soldier, Uriah, to go home to his wife, Bathsheba. When the light went on, there were some giggles, and complete silence. (David wanted Uriah to go home to Bathsheba to cover up his immorality. Bathsheba was home, Uriah was not, and she was pregnant.) Andrew and I got a good laugh out of that.

After our lesson last Sunday I told our class that this would be out last week. There was an uproar. One class member offered us an empty room in his house; then he offered to pay for gas so we could continue to be their teachers even though we lived out of the boundaries. Other class members asked if we looked everywhere in the ward, there had to be an empty place somewhere. "You can't leave, you are the best teacher's we've ever had."

It's amazing what messages you can convey when you have the Lord with you. Even though it was only for two weeks, our class knew that we loved them. They felt comfortable with us, and we were able to teach them life lessons through the scriptures. I relearned that teachers prepare, but students lead the lesson. (And it really works!) Everyone is involved that way. We were able to really connect with our class in a short amount of time.

The class decided to have a party for us. It was crazy trying to find a time to meet around everyone's schedules, but then we settled on next Tuesday night at Pizza Pie Cafe. Today, we received the invitation:


Isn't that so sweet?


4 comments:

  1. AH! This is so cute! I always hated when the married couples left our ward. They were always the best! :)! Bummer :)!. Well you made a difference while you were the. And of course you would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is so funny! I love Bathsheba... HA HA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sad you had to move! They loved you! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha I would do the same thing if I were those little kiddies. That's super nice of them to miss you so much so quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...